Communications Strategy - Strategic communications plan supports a large-scale corporate acquisition
In 2013, TrueBlue acquired MDT Personnel, which was the largest acquisition in the company’s history. The company required a communication plan that would retain customers, employees and staff and position the new combined company for growth.
What Dotti Did
Dotti developed an internal communications strategy designed to inform MDT staff members about the acquisition and what it would mean to them, and to position TrueBlue in a positive light in order to retain staff. The strategy included:
- Comprehensive communication plans for introducing the acquisition and connecting with staff members throughout the transition
- An intranet site that provided up-to-the-minute information, FAQs, and an email response system
- Engagement of executive leadership in a series of branch visits, meetings and team-building events on Day One of the merger and beyond
- Distribution of a brand welcome package to each MDT employee at their homes, engaging them and their families with the new brand
Dotti also developed an external communications strategy that announced the acquisition to all customers and positioned it positively. The strategy included:
- Use of the MDT website to announce the coming merger, followed by email teasers and, ultimately, a redirect of the current site to the new TrueBlue site
- Creation of an external messaging map and key messages for customer-facing staff members
- Development of collateral materials to support communications from internal staff
MDT was successfully integrated into the TrueBlue organization. 98 percent of customers and 97 percent of staff members were retained. The customers and staff members who transitioned understood the TrueBlue brand and were positioned for growth of their business and their careers.